CATHOLIC PRESS ASSOCIATION INVITES NOMINATIONS FOR AWARDS
(SAR NEWS) --The Indian Catholic Press Association (ICPA) invites nominations for the ICPA 2009 awards for contribution in the field of journalism. The awards will be conferred at the 15th National Conference of Journalists in Chennai, February 19, 2010.
Any Christian may nominate an individual/publication/media institution of the Christian community that has made significant contribution in promoting, campaigning and defending Christian values, human rights or the cause of the poor and marginalised.
Following are the four categories of awards: 1. ICPA- Fr. Luis Carreno Award: The Rs 10,000 award to be conferred on an outstanding journalist/institution in India in English or any other recognised Indian language other than Hindi.
2. ICPA- Swami Devanand Chakkungal Award: The Rs 10,000 award to be conferred on a journalist/institution in India for outstanding contribution to journalism and literature in Hindi language.
3. ICPA- Fr. John Barret Award: Rs 10,000 to be conferred on the best SAR News reporter of the year. A panel of Christian editors will select the awardee.
4. ICPA- Award For Best Reportage on Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes and OBC: The Rs 15,000 to be conferred on a journalist/publication for promoting/campaigning the cause of the SC/ST and OBC.
The ICPA is a national organisation of journalists including editors, publishers, teachers of journalism, publishing houses, news agencies, regional press associations has been promoting excellence in professionalism and values in print media for over four decades. The 46-year-old organisation is affiliated to the Geneva-based International Catholic Union of the Press (UCIP).
Procedure for Nominations:
1. Only published works/contributions by individuals or institutions between February 2009 and January 15, 2010, will be accepted as valid nominations.
2. The last date for receiving nominations is January 15, 2010. Entries received later than 15th January will be rejected.
3. Self-nominations will be rejected.
4. In case of regional language publications, headlines and a brief description in English should accompany the entry.
5. The nomination letters must be accompanied by the following:
A recommendation letter for the proposed candidate stating reasons why the candidate is suitable for nomination. Nomination letters must be duly signed and stamped.
Resume of the candidate. In the case of a publication/institution a brief note on its achievements to deserve the award.
Two recent passport size photos of the nominated candidate.
Five latest published works by the candidate between the period of February 2009 and January 15, 2010. One ORIGINAL and 3 copies to be sent.
A declaration by the candidate that all information submitted is factual.
Nominations to be sent ONLY by courier/speed post to: Fr. Adolf Washington, President, ICPA, No 2/4, 4th Cross, Vivekananda Nagar, M.S. Nagar Post, Bangalore 560 033. 080-25476706, 080-25482480